At Tebay Primary School we have a Nursery/ Reception Class where we follow the Early Years Statutory Framework. Children learn through play, experiences and adult led learning. The classrooms are enhanced to provide exciting learning opportunities which cover the seven areas of learning. These are:
• Personal, Social and Emotional Development
• Communication and Language
• Physical Development
• Understanding of the world
• Expressive Arts and Design
We follow a two-year rolling cycle planning opportunities and experiences to enhance children’s knowledge each half term. We follow a thematic approach to allow children to be immersed in their learning. We also seek knowledge from parents to ensure we are providing opportunities based on children’s interests.
We follow the Talk 4 Writing, writing process which inspires early language development and allows children to become creative writers in an engaging and motivating way. We move from imitation to innovation to independent application. Each half term we look at high quality texts linked to our theme.
Before children can write we focus on a child’s gross and fine motor skills. When a child’s core, arms and fingers are strong they are ready to write. At Tebay Primary School we follow Twinkl phonics. Phonics is carried out daily, children learn the letter sounds enabling them to learn to blend and segment. Children are given lots of opportunities to develop mark making and writing throughout the provision. Both classes visit the library weekly. When your child has a bank of sounds and is ready we will send a reading book home. It is important when your child receives a reading book that you read with your child each night and sign their reading record.
• Children should bring a water bottle in each day. No juice please.
• Dojo is our method of communication. You can download the app on android and smart phones.
• Tapestry is the app we showcase your child’s journey.
• Children should bring their reading book to school every day and these will be changed twice a week.
• PE kits will stay in school for the half term.
• Children should bring appropriate clothing for the weather (coats, wellies, hats, scarves, sun cream, sun hats). Please make sure these are labelled.